As your child enters Yanchep Beach Primary School, we recognise that you have been their most important teacher. Forming a partnership with the school is of vital importance as your child begins their learning journey. We view our Early Childhood students as capable learners who have diverse experiences. They are ready to be engaged in learning the curriculum in ways tailored for young learners’ needs and interests in our purpose built centre including Nature Play, which is both playground and outdoor learning space.
World research has agreed on the importance of Early Childhood Education; it is the time when the brain is developing more quickly than at any other time. Best practice through intentional teaching is vitally important to ensure that all children achieve to their full potential.
At Yanchep Beach Primary School that will look like:
- Explicit teaching, which involves directing student attention toward specific learning in a highly structured environment. It is teaching that is focused on producing specific learning outcomes.
- Letters and Sounds, which is a structured synthetic phonics program beginning in K and continuing through to year 3. Children begin by listening to the sounds in the environment then sounds in words, culminating in reading and writing those sounds, words then texts confidently.
- Talk 4 Writing, our whole school writing program involving oral language, actions and lots of vocabulary to tell then write high quality texts.
- Numeracy following our whole school program First Steps in Number, Geometry and Chance and Data. Children are involved in lots of activities with materials and real life experiences such as class shops.
- Knowledge of the world, involving learning about themselves and their community and interests then moving into science, history and geography.